Apparently while I went about my business today in Dunwoody, a storm raged through Decatur and took down 3 of my tomato plants, broke one of the pots, broke limbs off another, and destroyed the pepper plant. I’m going to see what I can do to salvage the Ceylon in the broken pot. Details to come.
Monthly Archives: June 2009
I’ve been looking for a good way to use up the dill I’ve been growing in a pot on the deck. This is it.
Buttermilk Dill Dressing
an Eggs on Sunday original
You can make this into a dip, instead; just reduce the amount of buttermilk used (or leave it out entirely, relying just on the sour cream and mayonnaise for thickness.)
Makes 2 cups of dressing (enough for quite a few salads!)
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 small shallot, minced
1 tsp dijon mustard
juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp coarse salt (plus any additional to taste)
freshly ground black pepper – at least 1/2 tsp
3 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 cup buttermilk
In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, minced shallot, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Whisk in the chopped fresh dill. Slowly add the buttermilk in a stream, whisking constantly until it’s the consistency you like (I find the 1 cup makes a good consistency for a salad dressing.)
Thanks to Eggs on Sunday for this taste treat.
Today my neighbor threatened on Facebook to come and liberate some of the tomatoes from the porch. This, clearly, is one of the dangers of urban tomato farming. Megan, Christie and Stacy had quite the back and forth today about how if Christie stole tomatoes today, there would be no tomato jam in her future.
Luckily the vines were heavy with fruit when I got home. Very heavy. It was the kind of harvest I’ve been dreaming of.
I came home today to find the tomatoes ready to pick and in great need of water, but we were running late for dinner with friends. So the first harvest happened tonight in the dark, nearly entirely by feel and by memory of what should be ripe. And I know I’m not supposed to water at night, but I did give them a little drink. Hopefully they will be grateful and not get sick.
Well, problems with staking the Ceylons (the only indeterminate variety I’ve planted), have me looking for a new solution. Today I picked up 2 of the Ultomato re-usable cages at Home Depot. They are a little big for the containers, but I love that they are adjustable and support the center stalk of the plant so well.
And the biggest news of the day is that I finally have some fruit ripening that looks healthy! Hopefully we will be over-run with cherry tomatoes soon. I can’t wait to make tomato jam!
Still trying to figure out how to fix this blossom end rot problem. Some of the tomatoes are even beginning to ripen, but much of the early fruit comes out with a big sad spot where the blossom was. I’m blaming the plentiful rain that we have had this spring and am hoping that I can stop this from happening to the later fruit. I think that the PatioF is the worst offender, so it may be on the chopping block for next year. We shall see.
Meanwhile, every day that I come home and it hasn’t been raining, they are all very thirsty and wilted. I think they need more frequent water because they are in containers rather than in the ground, even though they are mulched.
I’m getting impatient for something to turn red!