Oh no! I have discovered blossom end rot on 2 of my Patio F plants and one Tumbling Tom. With some research it looks like this is due to a shortage of calcium to the plant because of period of heavy rain and then some dryness. The solution: Mulching all the plants and spraying affected plants with calcium spray (purchased in a bottle at Lowe’s). Hopefully we’ll have a good report next time.
My tomato craze began last year when I planted two grape tomato plants from Lowe’s in a big pot on my front porch. This year I ordered seeds, bought more pots, and began what looks like a tomato jungle on the sunny side of the porch. The purpose of this blog is to share some thoughts on growing tomatoes in containers for all the urban gardeners out there.
Having been working on this since February, I was thrilled when the first little fruits appeared on May 7.
Top: The Small Fry turned out to be anything but small. It’s really fun to watch this one grow through the levels of the cage.
Middle: Tumbling Toms in their hanging basket to the side of the porch.
Bottom: The Styles Tomato Farm with my car in the background. Here you can see a ceylon on the pillar, the two little totems in front, a patio F next to the pillar, and of course the small fry. We went to the Oakhurst Community Garden plant sale and I just had to add swiss chard in a window box.
By the time it snowed here in March, the jungle was already beginning to form. I started worrying that I would need to pot the plants before it was warm enough to have them outside.
Once all the seeds had sprouted, I moved the plants to a sunny window in the office. It was tricky to keep them watered the right amount because the peet soaks water up so quickly and holds it for so long, but most of the plants survived and grew.
I already posted the descriptions and pictures that led me to each of my 5 varieties. Once the seeds came in February, I bought these “tomato greenhouses” at Home Depot and began trying to sprout them. The peet pellets grow like snakes when you put water on them, and then I covered both greenhouses with a towel and put them on a table over a heat vent until most of the seeds had sprouted.